So we've seen 3 different doctors and not really had anything definitive said to us. Sure, we know that I have cancer, we know that I will need a mastectomy and we know that we want to go to Salt Lake City for the procedure. What we haven't known is how to go about setting everything up. The surgeon says that we need to schedule surgery and have my breast removed right away while our Oncologist friend states that we need a local Oncologist to set things up for us and really help lay down a game plan. We tend to agree that we want someone running the show. Geoff's dad went to Dr. Sandra Buys at the Huntsman Institute, so we thought that'd be a good place to start. After speaking with Dr. Buys' assistant we were able to schedule an appointment for today, hooray!
The Huntsman Center is amazing, an absolutely gorgeous building. At least I know they're doing well right? So we spoke with our Oncologist Dr. Buys today. She confirmed that I have Ductal Carcinoma In Situ or DCIS. She asked a lot about my family history and whether or not people related to me have had to deal with any sort of cancer. She even checked me for irregular moles.
One of the best parts was that she explained the mastectomy process. We had no idea what a mastectomy entailed, we had no idea what I'd be left with and how I would look. What we were told was very heartening. She strongly recommended that I keep my left breast, I had been considering having it removed also, just in case. She made constant references to my future children which was exactly what I wanted to hear! I will need to visit with a gene counselor to see if I have any gene mutations. If I do I may then elect to have a radial mastectomy, or in other words, I'll have them remove my left breast too. My doctor agrees with that and would recommend it. Because of the nature of my cancer if I keep my left breast I will also need to go and have a mammogram once per year and an MRI once per year as well. To all of you out there make sure you're going to your doctor regularly.
The next step is to meet with both the Surgeon and Plastic Surgeon and discuss my pending operation. Dr. Buys was kind enough to schedule them for me. So I'll meet with them on May 22nd for the consultation and I'll actually go in for the operation on June 6th. It's so soon but I'm certain that it has to be done. So many great people have helped us reach this decision.
I want to express my love for each and every one of you. I have never felt as so special. I am sad because I know that I can never repay your kindness and only hope that you can understand how grateful Geoff and I are for your support and love.
Thanks again!
Desi
5 comments:
Desi, Desi, Desi...
My heart goes out to you. Your one of the toughest people I know (remember I was there to hear your shoulder crack on the soccer field). I'm so proud of you, walking this hard road. Your an amzing person, and I'm proud your my family.
I truly hope the best for you and your family. Your in our prayers!
Lots of Love
Jamie (Williamson) Resch
Hey Desi-
I am so glad to hear that things are working out finally. I keep you in my prayers every night, (and morning when I remember them.) Keep looking forward. It sounds like you have found great people to work with. You Rock!
-Jacque
Desi, I think the blog is a great idea. We are still praying for you and know you will get through this..Love The Hanceys!
You are amazing and such a great example! I wish you the best throughout all of this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know what i can do for you! YOu will be in our prayers!
Love you!
Desi, I emailed Sidney today wondering what was happening - I'm so glad you have the blog. You are so sweet, such a great wife and mother. You're going to get through this! I'm glad you're going to Uncle Mike's doctor. We'll keep you in our prayers! Love ya, Polly Astorga
Post a Comment